Saturday, June 27, 2009

Fatherly Thoughts: My first Father’s Day!

I must admit. My first Father’s Day was a
little anticlimactic. I was out of town on a writing assignment and missed out on the festivities. You seemed to be pretty understanding about it. Thanks for your patience. I know this is a little late, but I just had to write about how excited I am to be a Dad. What a blessing!

There were those days when I didn’t know if I’d ever get to be a Dad, and now I’m blessed with a wonderful daughter. You’re growing and changing so much every day.


You and your mother got me a great Father’s Day gift. It’s a copy of “Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters.” It’s a great read so far. I’ve been plugging away on it and learning all kinds of cool stuff about being a good dad. What a great responsibility it is to be a Dad. I’m reading more and more about the important role a father plays on a child.

I know that my dad — your Pe Pa — played an important role in my life. He went on to heaven more than four years ago. I wish you could have met him. He definitely would have loved to have met you. He was a Godly man. He taught me a lot about living out my faith and what it means to be a man. I included a photo of him and your Me Ma when they went to see my brother and his family in Kenya years ago.

I still can hear his voice when I’m singing hymns in church or when he used to call me “Shawner.” I remember how we used to throw the football around in the yard. I also remember him reading the Bible every night before he went to bed. He had a tremendous influence on my life, and I want to do the same for you. I want you to grow up to be a Godly young woman who stands up for your faith and values. I’ll do my best to teach you what I can.

Hopefully, you won’t pick up too many bad habits along the way. I know I have a few. Maybe you’ll grow up to be a big football fan like your mom and dad -- Go Rams! Your mother would prefer you to be a Steelers fan ... but we'll see about that.

Either way, thanks Laura for being such a blessing in our lives.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

There you go making me cry again Shawn! Love what you wrote about Dad...I miss him. Can't wait to see you all in a few weeks!!!

Annie said...

THe photo tugged at my heart as well. We miss him and think of him often. He would be so proud of the parents you guys are.